Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Weekly Preview: Week of Nov. 24, 2008

Let's face it: I'm broke. I don't have enough money to see very many movies. On top of that, I don't have a car, so I can't get to movies easily unless my friends are going. This makes it difficult to review 1, let alone all, of the movies coming out any given week. So in this feature, "Weekly Preview", I'll preview all of the films coming out this week, give their current Rotten Tomatoes score, what I think based off of word of mouth and the trailer, and more. I'll also list them in the order of my excitement, from the one I'm least likely to try to see, to the one I'm most likely to try to see. Enjoy.










Four Christmases

(Dir. Seth Gordon)
[Wide Release]

Plot: Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon play a couple who attempt to ditch their families at Christmas, but get stuck there nevertheless. Because both of their parents are divorced, they must visit all four of their families. Hilarity ensues.

My Excitement Level (1-10): 2
Why?: As much as I love Vince & Reese, they both deserve better than what looks to be two hours of material we've seen before and done better. The "jokes" look to be of the "punched in the crotch" variety, and Lord knows we need more of those.

Current RT: 26%












Transporter 3

(Dir. Olivier Megaton)
[Wide Release]

Plot: Shoot. Blow Up. Bang, bang. Jason Statham.

My Excitement Level (1-10): 4
Why?: At the very least, it could be entertaining. Even though Statham picks crappy movies (The Bank Job, War, anything he's been in), some of them can be worth watching merely for the popcorn value, but I'm not expecting anything on the level of the action greats (Blade II, etc.).

Current RT: 35%











Australia

(Dir. Baz Luhrmann)
[Wide Release]

Plot: Set in the titular country, on the brink of WWII, Nicole Kidman plays a wealthy English socialite who needs help from a not-so-wealthy local (Hugh Jackman) in order to keep her land, or something like that. Basically, it's a giant war/romace epic set in Australia during WWII.

My Excitement Level: 6.5
Why?: At first I was looking forward to this film a ton, based on the beautiful shots from the trailer. However, even the reviews that agree that the film is beautiful say that that's about all the film has to offer. I'm not a huge fan of either actor, but Kidman can be great when she wants to be. Also, the film length has me a tad concerned.

Current RT: 51%











Milk

(Dir. Gus Van Zant)
[Limited Release]

Plot: The film follows Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man elected to public office. Sean Penn plays Milk, surrounded by an impressive cast (James Franco, Josh Brolin, etc.), as he gains public popularity and changes the face of the gay rights movement.

My Excitement Level: 9
Why?: While the film seems a little conventional, I'd much prefer that to a confusing experiment like Van Zant's Paranoid Park, however good it was. Sean Penn looks great in it, as do Brolin, Franco, Emilie Hirsh, and others. Also, with Propsition 8 so fresh in my mind, it'll be nice to see how far the movement has come.

Current RT: 92%

No comments: